How to Appeal a Disapproved Facebook (or Instagram) Ad
This is a step-by-step guide to appealing your ad that was disapproved by Facebook.
We've all been on the receiving end of this dreadful message:
Error: "Your Ad Wasn't Approved Because It Doesn't Follow Facebook's Advertising Policies
If you've received this message, we have a few steps you can follow to get your ads running again! 🙆♂️
Ads are disapproved by Facebook & Instagram for one of two common reasons.
The first reason is that Facebook made a mistake and incorrectly disapproved your ad. 🤦♂️
Facebook is overly precautious on flagging campaigns that may violate their advertising policies. They use a combination of algorithms and humans to determine if an ad is approved.
It is possible that your ads have been mistakenly disapproved. If you believe that is the case, you can appeal that ad disapproval process.
The second reason is that the ad doesn't follow Facebook's Advertising Policies.
Facebook's Advertising Policies apply to an ad's content, audience, and the destination it links to. Please review the ad policies, your ads, and your website to ensure that they do not violate any terms.
We've included common violations of Facebook's Advertising Policies at the bottom of this article.
There are two methods that you can use to appeal your ads.
The first method is to use Facebook Support Chat / Email.
You can view the video version of this guide here:
A video guide of how to appeal a disapproved Facebook or Instagram Ad.
The first method is to use Facebook Support Chat / Email.
Facebook chat support is great. As is their email support.
The key to using these channels is to be polite and fill out your request accurately.
Facebook's Business Help Center
If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find a button you can use to contact the Facebook team.
Press the Chat or Email in the Business Help Center
The Chat form and Email contact form have a slightly different UI, however the information they ask for is the same. Chat is typically fastest, but email is just as effective.
Fill out your name, email, and phone number.
Then enter your Ad Account ID and Facebook Page into the form.
Enter your Facebook Ad Account ID and select your Facebook Page
You can find your Ad Account ID by visiting the Facebook Ads Manager interface or inside the ToneDen Facebook Advertising Platform.
The Ad Account ID will be featured in the top left corner or in the URL after "campaigns?act=".
Your Ad Account ID will also be featured in the Select Accounts step of any ad campaign creation process in ToneDen.
The Ad Account ID will be featured in the "Select Accounts" step of any ad campaign creation process.
Please remember to include the Ad Account ID that you created the Facebook Ad campaign with that contains the disapproved ad. Also remember to select the Facebook Page that you created the Facebook Ad campaign with that contains the disapproved ad.
Select "Ad Policy or Disapproved Ad" and "My Ad Was Disapproved" in the ad appeal form.
Please use the following Subject Title: Please review my ad.
Then copy and paste the below message into the Description:
I believe your algorithm mistakenly disapproved this ad. This ad does not violate any Facebook TOS.
Please have a human review the ad content and approve as soon as possible.
I appreciate your help!
Enter your Subject Title and a polite & informative Description into the Facebook Ad Appeal form.
Be polite and informative. Facebook employees are people too.
Press the Start Chat or contact button at the bottom of the form.
This is the Facebook Account Quality Portal
Facebook will display a checked box next to a Facebook Account or Business Manager Account if it has experienced any issues in the last 30 days.
Here is an example of a Business Manager Account with issues.
Facebook will display a checked box next to a Facebook Ad Account if it has experienced any issues in the last 30 days.
Here is an example of a Ad Account with issues.
You can see which ads within a campaign aren't running and request reviews of multiple ads at once if you believe they were incorrectly rejected.
Then click on the Request Review button.
Facebook’s ad review can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 days. Once the ad is approved, no further action is required. Your campaign will begin delivering immediately upon your scheduled start date.
If your ad did violate Facebook's Advertising Policies, we recommend familiarizing yourself with some of Facebook's Advertising Policies.
- Alcohol - Ads that promote or reference alcohol must comply with all applicable local laws, required or established industry codes, guidelines, licenses and approvals, and include age and country targeting criteria consistent with Facebook's targeting guidelines and applicable local laws.
- Profanity - Ads must not contain profanity or bad grammar and punctuation. Symbols, numbers, and letters must be used properly without the intention of circumventing the ad review process or other enforcement systems.
- Smoking - Facebook does not allow ads that promote the use or sale of cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco and smoking accessories (e.g., tobacco pipes, hookahs, hookah lounges, rolling papers, vaporized tobacco delivery devices, shisha, electronic cigarettes). The advertisement of such products is highly regulated around the world.
- Sexuality - Facebook does not allow ads that promote adult products or services, such as sex toys, sexual enhancement products, or sexual videos and publications, as well as images or videos that show nudity.
- Body Image - Your ad wasn't approved because it focuses on an ideal physical body image. Images that show a type of body as being perfect or undesirable (e.g., focusing on abs or belly fat) are not accepted.
The easiest way to fix this is to edit the ads in your campaign to remove any violations that may be causing the error.
For example, if your violation is alcohol related, add the minimum drinking age to all targeting audiences.
If errors continue, then remove alcohol-related content from ad.